Thursday, April 28, 2011

Heartbroken

My heart is absolutely broken right now.

At about five o'clock yesterday afternoon a mile-wide tornado absolutely destroyed the city where I spent five of the best years of my life, the city that I still consider home.

All photos via tuscaloosanews.com

We live about 30 miles from Tuscaloosa right now, but I'm there for school every day and Lee works there. I was home all day yesterday because my school was canceled and Lee came from work at lunch [thank goodness] because of the threat of bad weather, but Lee's brother and sister and lots of our friends live in Tuscaloosa, so watching this monster on the news was terrifying. It went right by his brother and sister's apartments, but they're okay. Our friends are all okay too, but some had damage to their houses.

Here's a video somebody took from the parking lot of the mall. I'm not sure how the mall is still standing. I'm also not sure why this person was in the car filming this and not in a safe place, but it's an amazing [and terrifying] video. This thing was a beast.

The damage is horrifying. It looks like bombs went off in Tuscaloosa. It beats all I've ever seen.

The pile of rubble on the left was a Big Lots yesterday morning


So many cities in Alabama are absolutely devastated right now. I'm so thankful all my family and friends are okay, but heartbroken for those who lost their homes and family members/friends. What a crazy day.

If you're reading this, could you please take a minute to say a prayer for everyone affected by this storm?

No comments:

Post a Comment